Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

Switching Things Up A Bit

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  CheckABookout 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Nintendo Switch

Rating: 4.5 – Outstanding

Switching Things Up A Bit

Soo…instead of reviewing a game, I decided to review a console for the first time! "But which one should I review?," I asked myself. Well, seeing that it’s technically a month old, and the amount of potential that this particular console has, I have decided to tackle Nintendo’s latest and greatest console, the Nintendo Switch.

The Nintendo Switch released on March 3rd, 2017, and is the latest console from the Disney of video game companies, Nintendo. Codenamed the NX before announcement, this system has led many a hype during it’s wake, and many spent countless hours wondering what the system would look like, and how it would operate.

CONCEPT/DESIGN:
    Nintendo has many home consoles, and many portable consoles to boot. However, Nintendo Switch decided to combine the two into one. The main driving point to the Switch is the tablet, that is touch-screen capable. However, since no games can operate with just the tablet alone, there are these little things called, "Joy-Cons," which are your basic controllers. You can connect them to the sides of the tablet, and take it with you wherever you go, or disconnect the Joy-Cons, hook the tablet up to the charging dock, and play the system on the television. For those that like to travel, or currently at a hangout with friends, you can give one another a Joy-Con, sit the tablet up on a kickstand, and have many a multiplayer fun. The system connects to the TV with HDMI only, and USB-C connectors are required to charge the system and controllers.

GAME LINEUP:
    This is the first of few setbacks I have with the Switch. First off, in terms of the physical launch lineup, there is clearly one glowing gem in the mountain of coals. That’s right, Super Bomberman R. Just kidding, it’s 1-2 Switch. No wait, it’s really Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Excluding the eShop lineup, with very notable exceptions, the game lineup is weak. There are, however, many exciting games on the prowl, such as Minecraft: Switch Edition/Story Mode, Splatoon 2, and most importantly, Super Mario Odyssey.

SETBACKS/FLAWS:
    While I haven’t came across any issues with my Switch, I’ve been reading that many people’s Switches have hardware issues, whether it’s making intergalactic alien contact noises, or color screw-ups, or even the tablet itself is warping from excessive playtime. But, with hardware issues aside, the renowned Virtual Console feature prominently featured on the 3DS and Wii U is nowhere to be seen, there are no Netflix, Hulu, etc. apps, and there’s not even a web browser.* The Nintendo staff has been promising these in a future update, but who knows when we’re getting those anytime soon?
    *Technically, if you can find a method of doing so, you can access a secret Internet browser.

FINAL VERDICT:
    If one thing can definitely be said, the Nintendo Switch has put Nintendo back on the market. The system is selling out everywhere, everyone’s having a good time playing Zelda and Mario Kart on the go, and it’s even selling more than the PS4 in Japan! However, it edges ever so close to being perfect. If they respond to the hardware issues, and add the streaming apps, web browser, and Virtual Console, this console will go down in history as one of, if not, THE, greatest video game console of the modern generation.**
    **Don’t take this very seriously. I was just saying IF it happens.

Rating:   4.5 – Outstanding

Product Release: Nintendo Switch (Gray) (US, 03/03/17)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.