Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

Shines as bright as a thousand fireflies.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Galactus21 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Galactus21

The Last of Us Remastered

Rating: 4.5 – Outstanding

Shines as bright as a thousand fireflies.

Last of Us on the Playstation 3 was one of my favorite games of that generation. Everything from the game play to the production values of the game spoke volumes about the care the developers put into this game. When I picked up a Playstation 4, one of the games I picked up was Last of Us Remastered. It’s been a few years since I have played it on the Playstation 3 and had an urge to play it again. Once I booted the game up and started playing, the familiarity of the game came back to me. It also quickly reminded me the details that went into making this game so great.

Last of Us Remastered follows the story of Joel and Ellie, as they make their trek across the United States in a post apocalyptic world. The game starts off like a normal household, with Joel hanging out on the couch with his real daughter. Moments later, the game allows you to take control of the daughter as things quickly escalates. Soon you learn a full, aggressive, zombie apocalypse is underway. After the initial opening, players are fast forwarded years into the future, where most of the world has gone to the dumps.

Last of Us game play revolves around several core tenets. From a combat perspective, players can utilize stealth to sneak up on enemies or go on a full on attack with your weapons or through melee combat. Additionally, players will be able to scavenge items and utilize those items to craft weapons and upgrade items. While players can certainly go into combat with gun blazing, the game also does a great job of reiterating that this is a post apocalyptic world where items are scarce. Players will run out of bullets quick if this is utilized, though sometimes I did save up a bunch of bullets and went into certain situations like Rambo.

From a combat perspective, I tended to utilize stealth and sneak up on enemies. There were mostly two types of enemies. Human and infected enemies. For human enemies, they would either have guns or have some type of melee weapons. As for the infected, you had several types with some being quite frightening. Some of them were certainly more difficult to kill, such as bloaters. Others are more efficient if you dispose of them a certain way. For instance, clickers I felt were more effective by sneaking up to them and using a breakable knife to finish it.

The stealth system in the game was quite fun. I really enjoyed using things like bottles or bricks to draw enemies to a certain area before making my move. I also liked that the way enemies were placed that one had to be careful how they approached an enemy during stealth attacks, so their buddy nearby did not see you.

The gun battles in the game can also become quite intense. The controls feel slick and make it fluid when you aim and shoot. There are multiple weapons that players will be able to get throughout the game. Over the course of the game, players will also be able to upgrade these weapons. For the most part battles will comprise of players using their surroundings to duck and cover, while popping out for shots at enemies. It does feel a bit like Uncharted from this perspective.

In addition to guns, players will have access to bow and arrow, as well as make shift projectiles like Molotovs. I would normally save up on my makeshift bombs and only use those in difficult situations with multiple enemies, as those projectiles could take out multiple enemies at once. The game also features a crafting system, where players can build health kits and other things.

Last of Us Remastered is a fairly lengthy game, where I finished around thirteen plus hours. This is however my third time playing. My first time playing, I clocked in closer to twenty hours. For first time players, they can be looking at a game that provides bang for your buck. While the game’s graphics are certainly not as mind blowing as when the game came out on the PS3, the game still holds up pretty well. The character models still look pretty good and the animation still looks quite good. The HD enhancements does give the game an extra pop. The music in the game is also quite good and matches the tone of the game. The voice acting was also some of the best around during its time and still remains so if you ask me.

Last of Us Remastered is just as fun and epic as when I first played the game years ago. The game features an interesting story that gets you invested in its characters. Then it reinforces it with some dynamic game play that mixes things up with stealth and combat elements. The game holds up quite well after these years and remains one of my favorite games. If you have not played it before, you owe yourself a favor to check it out. Even if you have played it before, it is still worth another play through.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.