Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

It’s Loud! It’s Crazy! It’s Stupidly Fun! What More do you Want?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PridefulMaster 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Sunset Overdrive

Rating: 5.0 – Flawless

It’s Loud! It’s Crazy! It’s Stupidly Fun! What More do you Want?

Some games are meant to be more than just "games". Some, like Last of Us and BioShock Infinite, aimed to be not just fun past times, but also intelligent, sophisticated stories with many deep themes, likable characters and intricate plot threads. And while there’s nothing wrong with games like this, it’s becoming an unfortunate trend that games are taking themselves sooooo seriously. I mean, sometimes one simply wishes to kick back, relax, and blow up some mutants/zombies/whatever to make us feel like were kings. Luckily for us, Insomniac Games & Microsoft has answered our prayers with Sunset Overdrive, a game that is on par with Bayonetta 2 as one of the best exclusive games of 2014.

Story-
    In the world of Sunset, the hero is you. Your customized avatar is just your average schmo working for FizzCo, who have given Sunset City an early taste of their latest drink, Overcharge. Unfortunately nobody bothered testing the drink and it turns everyone who has some turns into mutant freaks who pretty much go nuts. Luckily, you escape and must now take back the city from the mutant hordes along with allies. The characters you meet are likable enough, but the true beauty of Sunsets story is that it never takes itself seriously. The fourth wall isn’t just broken, it’s obliterated, annihilated, blown up, burned, and then nuked to perfection. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself chuckling or out right guffawing at some of the brilliant dialog here. The story, while not the main highlight, defiantly does what it needs to, which is be hilarious.

Graphics-
    Color. That is the only word to describe Sunsets graphics. Everything is bright, chipper, and loaded with charm. The design of the monsters are incredibly creative and add a lot to blowing them up. They bleed orange for God’s sake. ORANGE!! Why don’t more games have this? The use of comic book style onomatopoeia adds even more, making it like you’re playing a game based on 1960’s Batman. Make an explosion, you see a BOOM. The character models themselves are impressive, with elongated faces and bouncy movement. I imagine this is what Fuse would’ve looked like if EA didn’t ruin it. The frame rate is also very smooth. I imagine some may complain that it would’ve looked better on PS4, but who cares really.

Sound-
    Everything is acted well enough, but the music is really good. The rocking tunes heard when you blast mutants to pieces or just grinding around the city is awesome. But as great as it is, this is actually the weakest part of the game, at least to me. While the music is filled with punk rock awesomeness it just can’t hold a candle to the other parts of the game. That doesn’t mean it’s bad, just not as noticeable. But it still works well and it’s enjoyable to listen. I guess Bayonetta 2 and that new Donkey Kong just had way too good music. Can’t blame them really.

Gameplay-
    Ever play Jet Set Radio. Imagine that, crossed with Ratchet & Clank and a bit of Mirror’s Edge and voila! You have Sunset. The game itself is an open world third person shooter, but staying on the ground is not advised. You’re slow and there are many, many enemies waiting to gang up and tear you down. So you just stay in the air, and that’s where the fun starts. You can quite literally bounce off of anything and everything as you blast enemies to pieces with fun weapons like a grenade launcher that launches explosive teddy bears. Oh yeah, the weapons are pure awesomeness, these are the Ratchet & Clank guys, after all. There’s also some parkour features, but there are sort of in the same vein as grinding. By grinding and being overall fabulous you can store up "Amps" that increase the power of your weapons, which adds even more fun. Combine that with enjoyable boss fights, upgradeable weapons, and plenty of enemies to blow sky high and you’ll get distracted easily. Sometimes there are story missions to do 123 meters away, but you decide to go 205 meters away from the mission and find something awesome. That’s not a problem as open world games should be like that for the sake of replay. Overall, the gameplay is just pure, badass, unadulterated awesomeness. There’s also online co-op, but I didn’t check it out. Online has never been that big a deal to me anyway.

Conclusion-
    If you don’t have this game but have an Xbone, stop reading this review and go get it. Sunset is undeniably Xbox Game of the Year and it would’ve been mine if not for Bayonetta 2. It’s fast paced, hilarious, intense, sophisticated and just overall fun. You know, fun? That thing that game developers forgot to add when they hyped up their games like they’ll cure cancer. Bottom Line, if you like having fun, buy this game. You won’t regret it in the slightest.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.