Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

It’s Like D-Day All Over Again

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DandyQuackShot 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Call of Duty: WWII

Rating: 3.5 – Good

It’s Like D-Day All Over Again

After years of holding out on getting the Xbox One Slim, an early before Christmas sale caught my eye including Call of Duty WW2 as an included game. This is the mega hit of the 2017 fall/Christmas season so why not, right? The Call of Duty franchise speaks for itself and of course being a history buff, I could never pass up a World War Two game featuring mega zombies and testing kill streaks on the beaches of Normandy. Call of Duty World War Two has a little of everything for everybody interested in shooter games. Broken down into three parts you are either picking this game up for the Campaign, Multiplayer, or cooperative Zombies multiplayer. Of the three, it is regret that only the Zombies multiplayer struck me as having been greatly improved upon.

What I loved about Call of Duty WW2 is that the campaign did go out on a limb to bring to life some battles of WW2 that rarely get a mention in the history books. I would be doubtful that those who got this game for the multiplayer survived the Medal of Honor restart of going in on D-Day with the Big Red One (First Infantry Division) or if they did, outlasted the overbaked cliches in the story itself. I was relieved to be facing uphill battles in the Hurtgen Forest where many U.S. infantry regiments suffered heavy casualties. I could have done without the neck breaking Jeep races with trains and arcade shooting of enemy dive planes. Overall I think the Campaign for this game was worth playing through, albeit it only takes a weekend to get through and once you get past the cliches in this story it isn’t half bad. What could have made this game better was to retell the story of the Big Red One through actually reading and retelling the story of this campaign from the perspective of actual soldiers and not from these made up stereotypical soldiers. Heck, I would have even settled for a veteran’s interview included in this game if they would have allowed you to use one.

If you are looking to pick Call of Duty WW2 up for the multiplayer I think you are in luck and this game is probably what you are looking for. I will be the first to admit that I am horrible at this game when it comes to surviving in a multiplayer combat match. I did not make it out of any game that scored me with a respectable K/D ratio although I did score a guilty pleasure or two on camping out in the free for all games. The maps in the multiplayer games render it ineffective to hold any one particular spot as you can be shot from at least three different angles at any given time. I’m not saying I am upset about being shot up all the time, but I would say I wouldn’t go so far as renaming my gamertag "RespawnMeat". There are a lot of neat new things to the multiplayer where you collect items and work on gaining experience and testing out weapons and killstreaks on your hub area that is designed as the staging area on the beaches of Normandy. Here you can check leaderboards and work on all sorts of customization and such. I would rate multiplayer as a decent improvement much pretty much the same as every other Call of Duty game’s multiplayer as far as the game play is itself.

As much as I would like to not mention Zombies and World War Two in the same sentence and as much as I would like to say I did not attempt to play this mode of the game, I did and I actually found this part to be the most improved upon area of game play. Instead of holing up in an abandoned bunker or house with your online buddies, you get a story, new characters to play as, and a complete town and mad scientist mansion to cover and unlock as you and your team work together to stay alive and survive through round after round of zombie horde mayhem. These games last much longer and your teammates can help revive you as you work on earning points to unlock secret areas and open up new weapons. I was surprised at how well laid out this was and how helpful my fellow zombie slayers were in keeping me alive in this game. Needless to say I did not survive as long as they did, but I still enjoyed being helped back up even if it did take a hundred times of being revived to keep playing. This part of the game is much more expansive and even includes its own little side story so if you are looking for a cooperative online experience with your friends, then you may be delightfully surprised at this.

Call of Duty WW2 is definitely a game designed to be enjoyed in 4K with surround sound. The graphics definitely do take the cake with highly detailed scenery and soldiers. It was enough to keep me compelled through the campaign part of the game and although I did not enjoy the story so much, the graphics of the game were visually realistic and immersive. The downside is that I did not pick up a big screen 4K TV for this game and probably missed out on the full experience this game has to offer.

I would say Call of Duty WW2 is overall your standard Call of Duty franchise experience with added improvements to what makes Call of Duty the highly sought after game that it always is. I wish as I wish for all historically based games that the history is honored and given special care, but in the end this game is meant for the online multiplayer experience and the historical appreciation gets washed out in exchange for zombie killing with WW2 guns. Medal of Honor still takes the cake a few console generations ago with General Eisenhower’s partial D-Day speech right before you are presented the mayhem of the Allied landings on D-Day. I actually memorized the entire speech after playing that game so much. But Call of Duty WW2 is a one time game for me that I won’t be revisiting any time soon.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.