Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

Being a chicken has never been better

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NewSupra12 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

NewSupra12

Toki Tori 2 +

Rating: 4.5 – Outstanding

Being a chicken has never been better

Toki Tori 2+ is a sort of light platformer, come heavy puzzler hybrid game developed by the now defunct Two Tribes studio. What’s different between the plus+ version and the normal Toki Tori 2? I don’t have any idea since I never played the original version, and I haven’t got the time or really the desire to research the differences. Too many games to play folks, there’s just too many games. Anyway, this one has got a big + sign stuck on the end of it, so it surely must be the better title because a + sign is always better than something without a + sign. Surely? Surely, right? Surely…

Don’t worry, this game is a sparkling gem, with stellar level design, a well-thought out and interconnected semi-metroidvania-esque world to plod your way through, and puzzles that are most certainly devious but never illogical and definitely satisfying enough for any self-proclaimed puzzle champ. You take the role of a little chicken called Toki Tori, who only has two abilities; he can chirp and he can stomp. That’s it, that’s all you’ll get throughout the whole adventure. Chirping and stomping. In its most basic and stripped back form, chirping calls creatures towards you, stomping pushes them away from you. Sounds like it’s gonna get dull and repetitive? Nah, it works wonders. You can do so much with these two abilities that it puts to shame other games that offer up a million and one abilities that only get utilised a couple of times. It feels like a crime to talk about all the lovely ways that these two abilities can be used, as the first time you realise that you can do a certain thing with a chirp or a stomp is a great feeling, especially when it results in getting past a puzzle that had been greatly taxing my slow and small brain. Toki Tori 2+ shows that cleverly executed environments and obstacle-player interaction dictate how far you can take just two rather basic gameplay elements. It’s superb and a testament to the skills of the developers.

There’s very little hand-holding in Toki Tori 2+, which makes it a rare treat. No tutorial, no silver spoons. A few nudges here and there, but nothing that takes anything away from the mystery of unravelling how creatures behave, how obstacles can be overcome, and how to get from here to there without ending up like chicken soup. I seen some idiot on a forum getting angry about how little this game helps you, which in turn got me angry about how this idiot got angry about how little this game helps you. Man, some people, some bastards, some brains that need engaging.

For what it’s worth, Toki Tori 2+ also looks the part as well, with colourful forests, dark and watery caverns, and big scorching volcanoes. If I was an actual chicken – not just a cowardly chicken like in real life – but if I was literally a chicken, then this is the place where I’d want to go on an adventure. It sure beats going on the adventure that most chickens take, which ends with them sitting on a table as the VIP of a Sunday roast dinner.

Toki Tori 2+ is a classic, and like the best classics it’s unloved and unsung. I can’t believe this didn’t sell well, and it’s really sad that it more or less finished off Two Tribes as a developer. It feels like the market is there for a game like this, if only the mobile market would put down whatever chocolate-sprinkle-twist-crush-saga-pop-bang-gem rubbish they’re playing this week and give something like this a shot. Then again, I don’t know if this got released for mobile devices, and if it didn’t then it’s a sin.

I can’t say too much more that’s worth your reading time for Toki Tori 2+, it all plays nicely and there’s no complaints that I can remember having while playing through it. If there were any minor qualms that I had, well, they’ve long been forgotten. It’s all paced perfectly, with complexity quietly wriggling into all the folds at just the right degree and at just the right time. The plot has something to do with chickens and ancient frogs. That’s your lot, a highly comprehensive and detailed review of Toki Tori 2+, so get it bought. Oh, and see once you’ve bought it, don’t let me catch you on any forums getting angry about how hard it can be. Don’t let me catch you, alright?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.