Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

What Remains of Edith Finch

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Asthreon 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Asthreon

Rating: 2.0 – Poor

What Remains of Edith Finch is being called haunting and beautiful yet I see it as an unfinished simulator with a poor story. What good is a simulator without a gripping story that leaves you feeling full of wonder and curious for what comes next. The feeling I get is that the developers and writers had no clue what the story was supposed to be about as it is a compilation of short deaths. They didn’t even take the time to change up the position of the books they just copy pasted a good portion of the game into other areas. A great example of said copy pasting are the bookshelves in the underground bunker, as you turn around and look at each shelf and row of books it is the same in each direction. The lack of attention to detail makes me feel unsatisfied after playing games such as PT where although you are playing in a loop there is depth to your surroundings. I understand they are a small team and don’t have all the time in the world but the little details tell a lot in games and when you neglect the details it makes for an unsatisfying ride. It tells me as a player that the developers didn’t truly love making the game, when one truly is passionate about the making of their art it can be felt in each facet of the game. The lack of said passion causes the work to crumble like a poorly constructed building.

Most of the family members get no more than 5 minutes of game play leaving the player unimmersed and unsatisfied. You are supposed to feel sorrow and pain at the persons death yet they do not let you get to know them well enough to feel anything at their death. I feel if I were to know each character better I could feel the heart gripping pain of their loss rather than a vague interest in how they died and why it happened. The most elaborate scene was that of the hunting incident and it was quickly dropped and left behind trekking on to another death that left me feeling hollow and disappointed. They ramped up the story just enough to get me wondering how it would all end and they didn’t even wrap it up they just shot a baby out a hole and called it good. They did not explain what the curse was or why it was killing the family or why your character dies; they just leave you to assume she died in childbirth and her kid is a bastard. They could have easily delved into the child’s life and had him search to find all the answers to the questions his mother was asking throughout the game, he could have been the hand that tied up all of the loose ends.

All in all, the game is okay and looks nice but lacks finesse as well as a quality story and ending.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.