Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

THE REVIEW (What some guy on the internet thought about the game.)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  CheckABookout 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Tales from the Borderlands: A Telltale Game Series

Rating: 4.5 – Outstanding

THE REVIEW (What some guy on the internet thought about the game.)

To be completely honest, I have zero knowledge about the Borderlands series. I have tried the first and second game, but not enough for me to really delve into the lore of it. From what I do know about it (y’know, through YouTube and review sites like this one), I hear that it’s one of the best series of FPS games ever made, with a creative cartoon-y art style, and humor that’ll have you rolling on the ground. So, when I heard that Telltale Games was going to make an episodic, story-driven Borderlands game, I figured I would try it sometime, especially given that Telltale would always get me into series I’ve never cared about before, like The Walking Dead.

Tales from the Borderlands was first released digitally on November 25th, 2014, then released physically on April 26th, 2016, developed by Telltale Games and Borderlands creators 2K Games and Gearbox Software, for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Steam, iOS and Android.

THE TALE
    (It wouldn’t be a Telltale game without one!)

This game tells two sides to one big story. The cybernetic, Hyperion stooge Rhys, and his accounting friend Vaughn, plan to move up into the ranks of their idol, and former Atlas leader, Handsome Jack, by screwing over a Vault Key deal made by their rival Vasquez. This ploy leads the two on the twisted planet of Pandora, where the notorious con-artist Fiona, and her sister Sasha, try to con ten million dollars with a fake Vault Key. When the two opposing sides meet, and the deal is exposed, they’re plunged into different dilemmas where they’ll have to work together in order to survive the planet of Pandora, and it’s inhabitants. Of course, since this is a Telltale game, there will be twists and turns that you can decide the outcome of, as the story progresses differently depending on your choices. Although I refuse to spoil the entire story, I will say that there is a reason why this game has widespread critical acclaim. There’s funny moments to be had, some nail-biting action sequences, and some dark, serious moments. Basically, successful Telltale story 101.

THE GAMEPLAY
    (The only thing that really matters in a game!)

…Unless you’re talking about Telltale. Y’see, Telltale games are like LEGO games; you’ve played one, you’ve played them all. While you occasionally move the characters around and interact with NPCs and objects, you spend most of your gameplay by choosing what to say and do in certain situations, and by playing through quicktime events for the action sequences. However, just because Tales from the Borderlands plays like every other Telltale game before and after it, that doesn’t mean that there’s no variety. Throughout the story, you switch player control between Rhys and Fiona, and both characters have their own unique gameplay styles. Rhys, being a human android, has a ECHO-eye, which allows him to scan his surroundings, as well as hack computers and power units. Fiona has a small Derringer pistol with only one bullet, which may be boring. However, as the story progresses, she gets an upgrade that not only will it allow her to shoot more than one bullet, but also adds three elemental powers to it. Fiona can also find money scattered throughout the world which can be used to buy additional upgrades to her caravan and costumes for other characters. It may also be used near the end of the game should the player decide to save all their money. As stated above, this is technically an interactive movie, and as per tradition with Telltale, the actions you take, the words you say, and the things you do will affect the next episode in different ways. For console players, the only real 100% completion is acquiring all the achievements/trophies, which is just completing the episodes and their chapters. But, with the different story outcomes, the game does offer a good amount of replayability. That may seem redundant, but the story is so good, you might not even care.

THE FINAL VERDICT
    (Thank God it’s almost over!)

Whether you’re a Borderlands fan or not, Tales from the Borderlands is a fantastic game, and a great entry point for newcomers of the series, since you don’t need to know much of the Borderlands lore to enjoy this game. This is definitely one of Telltale’s best projects, rivaled by The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. I simply cannot think of anything else to say other than go and play this game right now.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.