Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

The Plumber’s Greatest Game Yet

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Phantomlink25 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Super Mario Odyssey

Rating: 5.0 – Flawless

The Plumber’s Greatest Game Yet

When Nintendo launched the Nintendo Switch back in March of 2017, a Mario title coming to the Switch was a guarantee. The question, however, was the title going to be a game like New Super Mario Brothers or was it going to be like Super Mario Galaxy. Super Mario Odyssey has Mario return to his 3D setting and it is the best Mario game to date.

Story

The story in Super Mario Odyssey is your typical story in just about every Mario game. Bowser has kidnapped Princess Peach once again and it’s up to our favorite plumber to come to her rescue. Expect this time, Bowser’s plan to kidnapping Peach makes sense. His plan is to marry Peach. As you play through the game, you chase after Bowser in a spaceship called the Odyssey, through different kingdoms as he gathers the typical wedding supplies. The Odyssey is powered by power moons, instead of the stars, which you earn in the kingdoms. Mario also meets a new companion whose name is Cappy. The story is enjoyable and it’s cool to see Bowser kidnapping Peach for a plausible cause. The ending takes a little twist which made me laugh and it was something I did not expect but enjoyed.

Gameplay

If you have played Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, you will feel right at home in the game. Mario has all his jumps from pervious games in Super Mario Odyssey. You will need to use all his jumps to solve puzzles and clear obstacles. Whether it’s ground-pounding a switch or long jumping your way across a pit, each level will challenge you in more ways than one.

Cappy brings new gameplay mechanics to the franchise and he is a great addition to the game. When Mario throws Cappy at an enemy, Cappy can control that enemy and Mario will be teleported inside of that enemy. Whether you take control of a Bullet Bill to fly across the sky or taking control of a flame to cross a lava pit, each enemy has its own unique way to solving puzzles. it’s a great concept and offers fun challenges to each kingdom. The boss battles are some the franchise’s best. I really enjoyed fighting each one of them because they all had unique ways of defeating them. They weren’t extremely difficult; however, they did require a little skill to defeat some of them in the latter part of the game.

Each kingdom is open-world which I think works great. Instead of going through linear style levels like in Super Mario Galaxy, you can take different routes to your objective in the kingdom. However, each kingdom is only so big and does have its out of bounds areas. Don’t jump over the edge!

Graphics/Performance

Super Mario Odyssey is the best-looking Mario game to date. Nintendo uses the power of the Switch masterfully to create beautiful kingdoms. The attention to detail is extraordinary. For example, when Mario exits a pool of water, his clothes are darker and damp or if you jump out of lava, his skin and clothing is charred. Each kingdom feels alive as you visit them, and the graphics flesh out that sense of life.

The Switch does not have performance issues when loading or while you’re running throughout the kingdoms. It may, occasionally, have a slight dip in fps when there is a lot of action happening at once, but it’s nothing major. The game runs smoothly while the Switch is docked and plays just as well when in hand-held mode, which impressed me.

Sound

Nintendo is known for their beautiful soundtracks and Super Mario Odyssey is no exception. There were a couple of themes throughout the game that I couldn’t get out of my head when I was done playing. Nintendo continues to create superb music with each new Mario game they make.

Verdict

I know that the Super Mario 64 fanboys will be upset at me for saying that Super Mario Odyssey is the best Mario game to date. Super Mario Odyssey takes the cornerstone that Super Mario 64 lays and builds upon it tremendously. This is the type of game that would justify going out and purchasing a Switch if you do not own one. This game is that good, a masterpiece to say the least. It is a must-play and deserves to sit in your library.

I had so much fun playing Super Mario Odyssey. It made me feel nostalgic of when I was a child sitting in front of the TV playing Super Mario 64. Nintendo continues to create fresh, innovative games for their franchises even if they have been around for a while. I cannot wait to see what Mario has in store for us the next time he comes to the plate.

10/10 Superb. Must Buy. Must Own.

Rating:   5.0 – Flawless

Product Release: Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch Console Bundle) (US, 10/27/17)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.