Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

The Night HE Came Home!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  horror_spooky 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Call of Duty: Ghosts – Onslaught

Rating: 3.5 – Good

The Night HE Came Home!

It is obvious that Activision is getting kind of desperate in their attempts to keep Call of Duty the "hip" and relevant game series that it once was. It is also obvious that the days of Call of Duty being the absolute most popular FPS on the market are coming to an end, and it is even more obvious that the shell that is "Infinity Ward" simply lacks the same creativity that the other major Call of Duty developer Treyarch brings to the table. All of this is apparent in Call of Duty: Ghosts – Onslaught, but the expansion adds just enough that it makes the otherwise weak game that is Call of Duty a hell of a lot better.

The goofy charm of the Treyarch Call of Duty games is definitely trying to be replicated by Infinity Ward here by including Michael Myers, the serial killer made famous by the Halloween horror franchise, as a playable character on one of the multiplayer maps. I am disappointed that he wasn’t more accessible, but it’s still a nice touch, even if it comes across as a little desperate.

As is tradition with Call of Duty map packs, Onslaught adds four new multiplayer maps, including one that is a remake of Scrapyard from Modern Warfare 2. In the main game’s multiplayer component, a new mechanic was added wherein players can collect a briefcase that is on the map and be given an extra objective to complete. If that objective is completed, the player will earn an extra perk or bonus XP or whatever. This mechanic is retained in the DLC maps, but utilized in a much smarter way.

Basically, the briefcases control the gimmick behind each map, such as calling in a strike on the map from ships that are in the nearby water or becoming Michael Myers for a period of time. This makes collecting the briefcase and actively completing the objective a lot more entertaining that it would be otherwise.

The maps themselves are all pretty interesting and unique. There is one map where a trolley is constantly moving on it, called Bayview. The Bayview map is particularly entertaining because of its trolley. I’ve always found Call of Duty to be at its best when it didn’t take itself so damn seriously with the map design.

The map called Fog is the map where players are able to become Michael Myers if the field objectives are properly map. This map is one big homage to horror films, with a spooky cave, creepy houses, and more to explore. I like to just walk around it and take it all in–there’s something oddly pretty about it.

Containment and Ignition (the remake map) are not as exciting, but they are both well designed and certainly do not detract from the multiplayer. This may be one of the first times that all four maps in a Call of Duty expansion pack actually delivered and made the multiplayer significantly more fun to play. These maps put the core maps to shame, really.

In another attempt to mimic the Treyarch formula for Call of Duty expansions, Onslaught adds a new map for the love it or hate it game mode Extinction. I’m on the fence about the mode; sometimes I find the matches thrilling, and other times I find them to be terribly boring. The attempt to inject a story into Extinction does little to make it more interesting, though fans of the mode will definitely like the added bells and whistles that the new "Nightfall" map brings to the table in Onslaught.

Two new weapons join the fold, though they are just two different versions of a weapon design. One of these guns is an assault rifle and the other is a sniper rifle. I appreciate Activision adding even more content in their expansion packs, but this also comes across as somewhat desperate in a way; they only gave away one gun in Black Ops II after all.

Call of Duty: Ghosts – Onslaught is fun, but it does come across as a bit "trying too hard" on the part of "Infinity Ward" and Activision. The multiplayer maps are extremely well designed and fun to play, particularly the Fog map, which adds the fun gimmick of being able to take control of Michael Myers. Extinction is nothing to write home about, and the new weapons are kind of just there. This is one of the more solid efforts on the part of Activision, and I will say that there is indeed quite a bit of content, even if the DLC is still fairly significantly overpriced. Those that haven’t put down Call of Duty: Ghosts for Titanfall yet may want to invest in this new DLC to expand their experience.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.