Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

So, I see you’ve run out of trophy games to play!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bkstunt_31 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Bkstunt_31

Twin Robots

Rating: 2.0 – Poor

So, I see you’ve run out of trophy games to play!

Being a trophy hunter, every now and again I’ll go look for some easy trophy lists to pursue, and that’s exactly what I found with "Twin Robots", which is an indie platforming game that features two controllable robot protagonists. Trophies are one thing though: the real question here is "Is this game any good?". Let’s go over exactly what you can expect out of this budget title.

The first thing you should know about Twin Robots is that there’s no story here at all. None, Zip, Ziltch. The game doesn’t even try. At the start of every level, one of the robots is trapped in a small vertical room with a crusher threatening his life (slowly…) and it’s up to his twin to free him and then they’ll make their way to the exit. But yeah, no story here whatsoever, so hopefully you’re not eyeing this game looking for a tale of robotic morality or something like that.

Onto the game play! Twin Robots is a fairly standard platformer. Your robots can’t do much. They can jump, wall jump, and… that’s about it. Pretty standard. The rub here is that doing actions takes energy, and as a robot you have limited energy (plus, one of your two robots usually starts out really low on energy). You may think this turns the game into some resource-management, and it does a little bit, but once you free your twin robot, the stage changes by adding in glowing floor panels that power up your energy reserves when you walk over them. There’s also batteries to find that really boost your energy, but more on those later.

So that’s pretty much it for the game play: use one robot to navigate the stage and find the "release button" to free your twin robot, then make it to the exit together, all while avoiding several instant-death traps such as crushers, spike pits and giant rolling gears. You’ll have to pay attention to your energy as you go, but you can share energy between the two robots and refill as you go so as long as you pay attention to your battery life there’s usually little worry about actually running out of energy (I never died due to energy loss).
    There’s a total of 28 levels in the game, and while the first few levels are very easy and fairly linear the final ones can get much harder. This means that there’s a handful of levels in the game that will really feel like you will rely on trial-and-error to get through them, which is a game mechanic I’m not too fond of but these levels are short enough and restarting is easy enough that it’s just a minor nuisance at best. Still, the game play is basic here despite the energy-sharing mechanic.

One thing that stood out to me was the game’s aesthetic, which immediately reminded me on another indie game called "Stealth INC: Clone in the Dark". Only… things are even more cheaply-made here. Almost every stage has the same backgrounds and environment, with hazards introduced early and repeated until the game’s end. There’s just not much variety here overall.

One thing that did bug me was the… buggy physics to the game. Some levels require you to move around blocks that you just need to walk into to make them move, in order to toggle switches. Absolutely required to make progress, but sometimes the level’s layout is too narrow that the blocks end up being launched away (which is almost always a restart). I’ve even seen these blocks just disappear before. Just not the smoothest game play mechanic. I should also note that the game did crash on me a few times in my short time with it. Despite these things though, I was able to complete the game in a fairly short time.

The audio in the game is… very generic. Light guitar riffs and generic melodies. Just nothing memorable here whatsoever to talk about. At best some of the tracks here sound like catch club music, but that’s the best it can do really (plus, the music repeats early and often). The sound effects in the game are solid, but overall the audio is just there and doens’t really leave much of an impression at all.

With 28 levels, this isn’t the longest game out there. You’re looking at maybe 1-5 minutes per level on average (although some are longer due to trial and error). This game is a co-op game though, as two players can each control a robot, so it can make for some good couch co-op if you can still find friends to do that with nowadays (couch co-op seems to be dying, sadly). I should also note that this game is a cross-buy title as well, so if you get it on PS4 you will get it on the PlayStation Vita as well. Both titles have separate trophy lists as well (a bonus for trophy hunters like me).

Overall: 4/10

In the end, Twin Robots is definitely an indie title. With no story, basic game play, and repeating (and sometimes buggy) graphics this is definitely a budget title at best. With so many other solid platforming games out there, it is really hard to recommend Twin Robots to anyone other than hardcore trophy hunters. Hopefully this review has helped you out! Have fun and keep playing!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.