Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

Nintendo strikes again with an entry perfect for all ages

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  joystickdrummer 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Super Mario Odyssey

Rating: 4.5 – Outstanding

Nintendo strikes again with an entry perfect for all ages

Super Mario Odyssey was the first Mario game I have ever beaten, even though i’ve played almost all of the Mario games. I’ve played Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2 but i’ve never actually beaten any of these games. There is always something that makes me put the controller down about halfway through the games and not pick it back up to finish the game. Since Super Mario Odyssey was the Mario game that I have actually beaten, let’s find out what kept me coming back.

Super Mario Odyssey has one of the most original stories i’ve ever seen in a Mario game. Bowser actually succeeds in kidnapping princess Peach and it is Mario’s job to save her. You know what! Now that I think of it Nintendo could definitely reuse this formula for future entries in the Mario series. It definitely hasn’t gone stale yet. The reason Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach is because he is planning their wedding, that i’m pretty sure Peach had no idea about, but she was going anyway. And just like every other Mario game, Mario tries to stop Bowser but is knocked off of his ship and in the process gets his hat destroyed by Bowser’s airship. This is what leads us into the introduction of the newest Mario character who’s name is Cappy. Cappy takes the form of your destroyed hat and joins you on your adventure.

it’s no longer just about jumping on goombas heads, with Cappy by your side, or in this case on your head, Mario has at his disposal the biggest selection of movement and combat abilities seen before in a Mario game. Cappy is now used as the main form of attacking and also expands the amount of areas Mario can reach with the help of Cappy. Nintendo strongly encourages you to play with the detached joycons, so much so that they even added this suggestion before the main title screen appears. With the separate joycons you can now throw Cappy at enemies with just a flick of a wrist. You can even fling the joycons upwards to throw cappy upward and fling the joycons to the side to do a sweet spin move that clears almost every enemy in your way. Cappy introduces so much versatility to the combat but I haven’t even gotten to the best part yet.

Cappy also has the ability to take control of an enemy when Mario flings Cappy at said enemy. This is by far the best addition to the game and was the reason I couldn’t put the game down. This really livens up the gameplay because you can take control of over 40 different creatures that control very differently from each other. This is not just an extra feature that was thrown in at the last second but something that was thought out extensively by Nintendo that was executed flawlessly. This ability is used mostly for getting to different areas that Mario can’t get to on his own and in some levels you even have to use this capture ability for the boss battles! These boss battles were my favorite part of the game. My favorite one, was the battles with the giant mechanical centipede in New Donk City. You have to take control of a tank and blast the thing right off the building. This level of creativity added to a formula that is over 30 years old, is something only Nintendo can pull off.

Speaking of creativity you probably have noticed by now that the different locations throughout Super Mario Odyssey are absolutely beautiful. There aren’t that many locations in this entry like some of the other games, but this game adds some of my favorite courses i’ve ever seen in a Mario title. I’m not going to be showing all of them because I don’t want to spoil anything for you guys but I will tell you my favorite course in Odyssey has to be New Donk City. It was kind of weird seeing Mario in a location with other humans especially since you can take control of one of the humans.

The main reason why New Donk City was my favorite, was because of the mission where you have to go out and assemble a band to play a show on top of a skyscraper. The first person you find is the drummer and let me tell you that Nintendo didn’t skip over any details in this game. When you find the drummer you can hear how well the drums actually sound. These drums sound like they were professionally recorded in a studio when it is so easy nowadays to program everything using a computer program. This is a little detail that not everyone would have caught but it definitely brought a smile to my face. Also the motion in which the drummer was playing the beat in the game was almost spot on with what it was supposed to look like. Most video games have the drummer look like this,… when it should look like this. it’s not perfect, but it’s the best attempt i’ve seen in a video game so far.

This also wouldn’t be a Mario game is there weren’t tons of collectables throughout. Instead of stars or sprites this time around, you are collecting moons that you need in order to repair you ship called the Odyssey. This is your means of transportation between locations and the more moons you collect, the more locations you have access to. Also it seems that Nintendo wants their games to be collect-a-thons now because there are over 500 moons in this game. I beat the game with somewhere between 150-200 moons which means there is so much more for you to do after you beat the main story. I knew that there were hundreds of moons to collect before playing this game and I had some doubts on if collecting moons was going to be enjoyable or tedious to collect throughout this game. Well i’m happy to tell you that I had a very satisfied feeling anytime I discovered a moon. Also the coins you collect in this game have an entirely different use than previous Mario games. Instead of collecting 100 coins and getting another life, you now have a shop available to you where you can go and spend the coins on different costumes for Mario to wear. It was a cool addition that each different location has a unique costume that goes with each stage.

As i’ve said throughout this review, Nintendo’s attention to detail throughout this game is some of the best i’ve seen in a video game before. They not only added new mechanics that made the game feel new, they also threw in some nodes to the past. In some of the levels they sprinkled in some 2d platforming challenges that really gives you a way of seeing how far Mario has come. Even in one of levels they have a throwback to the original Donkey Kong game. I’m really glad that Nintendo really focused on¡­ hey look at that. A cool little throwback to the Wii U with Toad from Captain Toad and Mario’s outfit from Super Mario Maker. As I was saying, I’m really glad that Nintendo made this game for all age groups. They make it easy enough that some kids will be playing this as their first game ever, but also make some of the different traversal abilities pretty hard to master.

With all that said, I would give Super Mario Odyssey a 9/10. This was the best Mario game I have played and Cappy was a perfect addition to this franchise. I really do hope that we see more of Cappy in future installments.

If you would like to see this review in a video format check out my Youtube review of Super Mario Odyssey right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkhsSe2dQxo

Rating:   4.5 – Outstanding

Product Release: Super Mario Odyssey (US, 10/27/17)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.