Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

Mario’s Best Game to Date.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  MegaBlaZone 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

MegaBlaZone

Super Mario Odyssey

Rating: 5.0 – Flawless

Mario’s Best Game to Date.

One of the most anticipated Nintendo Switch games of 2017 next to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey has finally been released and Mario’s back for a long awaited 3D adventure. Back when its first trailer was shown at the Switch Presentation in January, many fans including myself were not only excited for the game itself, but the return of the sandbox style from Super Mario 64 and Sunshine. As someone that grew up playing these games, I feel like my trip to nostalgia is nearby and I couldn’t wait any longer for the holidays to come.

Story:

Like most Mario games, the games brings some new elements in terms of story, but it typically starts off with Bowser kidnapping Princess Peach and Mario has to go save her. This time in Super Mario Odyssey, however, Bowser wants to marry Princess Peach, and so he kidnaps her and goes to a variety of kingdoms to steal a number of things for their wedding. After Mario gets thrown away from Bowser’s ship, he lands on an unknown kingdom and meets his new companion Cappy. They then go from kingdom to kingdom with an old ship called The Odyssey to follow Bowser and hopefully stop the wedding on time. It’s a pretty simple story just like any Mario game, but there’s always a lot of charm put into it and I can guarantee some moments here will make you laugh or cry.

Gameplay:

If you’ve played Super Mario 64 and/or Sunshine before, Super Mario Odyssey’s controls will feel very familiar to you. Mario can run, jump, ground-pound, perform some tricks, and many more. However, Mario now has a few tricks up his sleeves, and that’s all thanks to his sidekick Cappy. Mario can throw his cap to grab coins, clear off some hazards, give himself some air momentum, and most notably take control of enemies and objects like Bullet Bills, Hammer Bros, etc to get a feel of their power and get to areas you can’t get to otherwise. With all those attributes, Cappy is the most versatile companion in any Mario game as it gives a number of gameplay styles unlike ever before, and how can I almost forget to say how fun it is to control a T-Rex.

Another notable feature in Super Mario Odyssey is the introduction of Power Moons, which are the Stars/Sunshines in this game. Collecting them is obviously a necessity to power up your Odyssey so you can explore to new kingdoms. Unlike previous 3D Mario games, once you’ve found a Power Moon, you will not be forced to leave a kingdom – instead, you’ll proceed from wherever you got a Power Moon and continue on. This is a much appreciated change in Super Mario Odyssey as before after you had collected a Star or Sunshine in their respective games, you get forced out of a world and you had to re-enter to continue looking for more, which I feel drags the games further more than it needed to be and it can be a bit tiresome. As you explore around kingdoms, you’ll also find Purple Coins, and they’re actually not worthless in this game. Purple Coins act as currency in Super Mario Odyssey (same for regular coins) and you can use coins to purchase new clothing for Mario (Mario in Boxers is #1, people) and many accessories for your Odyssey. Although the Purple Coins are not required to beat the game, they’re worth to find whenever you’ve got some time. Not much to say about the boss fights; they’re pathetically easy as always, yet they’re fun. There are a lot of fun challenges like the Koopa Races, and the list goes on. Super Mario Odyssey has so much to offer in the gameplay department which will keep you busy for a while.

Graphics & Sound:

Nintendo has always make the best looking games and wonderful soundtrack, and Super Mario Odyssey is no exception. Many of the kingdoms especially the Metro Kingdom look absolutely phenomenal. The waterfalls in Fossil Hills, for example, look detailed and sound realistic, it’s relaxing to hear. I’ve never been a fan of desert themed levels, but there’s something about the Sand Kingdom I really enjoy. The Metro Kingdom feels so alive with people doing whatever activities they’re doing and it’s great to view the whole city from the skyscraper. There’s many more kingdoms I haven’t covered that I also love them for similar reasons. The soundtrack is also phenomenal; since Super Mario Galaxy, many tracks are orchestrated and fit very well with their respective kingdoms. Jump Up Superstar by Pauline is so good, nuff said.

Final Verdict:

It’s no surprise how Super Mario Odyssey was nominated for Game of the Year this year; with amazing graphics, awesome new gameplay, the exploration, characters, and fun secrets, Super Mario Odyssey is a spectacular game. This is a game I’ve been wanting for a long time, and I’m very pleased to say I really enjoyed this game from the start and will be replaying it from time to time. If you’ve enjoyed previous 3D Mario games, you will love this game. Don’t you dare rent Super Mario Odyssey, buy it.

Rating:   5.0 – Flawless

Product Release: Super Mario Odyssey (US, 10/27/17)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.