Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

Become the Tomb Raider Again

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  P1Falchion 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

P1Falchion

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Rating: 3.5 – Good

Become the Tomb Raider Again

When Tomb Raider got rebooted in 2013 I was looking forward to seeing how it would turn out. And thankfully in the end it turned out to be a great game and the same can be said of it’s sequel Rise of the Tomb Raider. And with Shadow in the Tomb Raider it marks the end of Lara Croft Origin Trilogy. I thought story wise the first game was a great introduction to what type of character we were going to get this time around. Rise of the Tomb Raider continued to tell her origin story, only this time adding the organization Trinity who were responsible for the death of her father. And now with Shadow of the Tomb Raider this is where we were able to find out more about why Trinity killed her father and we see Lara transform into the Tomb Raider many fans know and love.

I was excited about playing this game because I was looking forward to seeing what Lara Croft would do next but, the thing with this game is my level of excitement going into this game was not as high when comparing to when the game was rebooted and when Rise of the Tomb Raider came out. After playing this game I was left satisfied with the gameplay but, felt that story wise they could have handled a lot of the events that occur in this game better. The story of this game is Lara is on a mission to stop Trinity from acquiring a dagger that can cause the apocalypse if anyone were to get it. So in order for Trinity to not acquire the dagger Lara get the dagger and because of her action she causes the apocalypse. And now the only way she can stop the world from ending is to go to South America and find the legendary city of Paititi and find the box that can stop the apocalypse.

The direction of Lara’s character early on in the game I wasn’t a fan of because she came across as an unlikeable character. And I know that the point of that is so supporting characters like Jonah can call her out and she grows as a character as you play the game. Unfortunately the way that it was handle just didn’t sit well with me and it took a long time for me to like Lara as a character again. And as for the villain of the game this is another problem I have with the story because the main villain really could have benefited from being apart of the previous game so we can learn more about the character and somewhat sympathy with the villian. I only say that because the game was intending to do this as the story progressed and in the end it was underwhelming.

As for the gameplay it’s the same as the other games with some added element like how stealth is handled in the game. There are some areas where you can hide on walls and use as camouflage. That is made most evident seeing how you can use the mud on the ground and have Lara cover herself in it and like that see can use a lot of the environment to her advantage. These segments are fun and satisfying especially when you can successfully take out an area without being seen.

One thing I really loved from Tomb Raider 2013 were the tombs you can explore because they provided puzzles and you can net yourself some rewards. Now this game does have tombs but, my issue with how they were handled this time is that most of the tombs I found I couldn’t do because I needed a specific weapon or attachment in order to enter the tomb. And for the most part I couldn’t do a lot of tombs because of that and it almost seems like tombs were meant as post game content. While in the end I enjoyed the experience after I beat the game I didn’t want to continue playing. For me when the credits rolled I didn’t have any interest in completing the tombs because I was done there was no reward worth it for me because I beat the final area and there was no point to complete tombs at that point. Luckily there is a new game plus feature so maybe this is the best way to tackle tombs as you play.

In the end Shadow of the Tomb Raider was a really good game and I would recommend this game to anyone who have enjoyed the rebooted series. The game looks great and the music was also really good which added to a lot of the moments that did stand out in the game. Especially the scenes where you see the badass Lara Croft we know and love. This is my least favorite out of the three but, it was still a journey I was glad to see in the end and I am excited to see what is next for Lara Croft.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.