Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

A solid remaster that could have been better

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  adam3k3 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

adam3k3

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

Rating: 4.0 – Great

A solid remaster that could have been better

If by now you don’t know what Gears of War is, you should immediately quit gaming. Love it or hate it, you cant ignore the fact that the series is huge and for a good reason. Released in 2006 on the Xbox 360 and later PC, the game was finally remade for the Xbox One. Was it worth the wait? Read on.

Graphics
    As much as I hate to talk about graphics, it is only fair to talk about it first as this is a remastered game meaning updated graphics and gameplay. The graphics are smooth and crispy. Everything runs beautifully in 1080p / 60 FPS and it shows! One thing I’m very happy about is that the removal of the old gray filter that made things look gray and irony. Replaced with a more organic yet depressing more natural one that makes the game feel new.

The Anti-aliasing is well done as edges look smooth as well as moving characters. The good and bad guys themselves look great with more details than the original. The later chapters only get better.

Score: 4.5/5

Gameplay
    What good is a great looking game with broken gameplay? Thankfully the solid Gears of War gameplay remains intact. The character movements and the entire cover system returns the way we remember it, great! The whole gameplay plays the way it should, very rare hiccups. The 60 frames per second makes a day and night difference. Even in multi player everything is smooth.

The problem is; nothing new was added. Not even the later mechanics in Gears of war 2 and 3. Its a shame since I was expecting the later improvements to be added in the remastered version. It seems they made the best remastered game they could according to Gears of War 1 standard.

It would have been nice to have extra weapons and a horde mode even if not proper. Another bummer is that the copo only supports 2 players. I understand that there are parts that can only b e played with 2 players but common, figure it out. Other than that, everything is fine and plays the way it should.

Score 4/5

Sound
    Not much to say except that all the previous sounds are back with a 7.1 Surround Sound support. No complains here, everything sounds about right.

Score 5/5

Online Versus
    What can I say? There are a very few modes to play if your joining a public lobby. The problem is, everyone uses the shotgun and this can become a problem as it takes a lot of time to learn quick shooting. A 4 GB patch was released addressing the glitches and bugs so things are getting better.

More modes and maps would have made the game better considering there is no horde or beast mode.

Score 3.5/5

The Verdict
    If you own an Xbox One get this game. If you loved the original, you will love this. Its the ultimate version of the original gears of war indeed. The PC version will support 4k so you might want to hold on or even pick both version if your a big fan like myself.

The game could have been better but is still a solid experience.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.