Familiar Game
Enjoy with Android APP
Download
Menu

A Fitting Final Ride for the Dark Knight

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Ruhject 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Ruhject

Batman: Arkham Knight

Rating: 4.0 – Great

A Fitting Final Ride for the Dark Knight

Batman: Arkham Knight is the fourth entry in the Arkham series, the third by developer Rocksteady. In Batman: Arkham Knight you play as the Batman, the notorious protector of Gotham. You are tasked with finding Scarecrow and stopping his assault on Gotham. Your investigation of Scarecrow reveals that he is working with another masked vigilante that bears a resemblance to Batman named the Arkham Knight. Along the way, you will encounter other villains from the Batman universe that will require you, the Batman, to track down and bring into custody. These are the side quests that run alongside the main story in the game. Your ultimate goal is to stop Scarecrow and incarcerate the other villains that you encounter during the side missions. When it is all said and done, the story was absolutely incredible and provided a fitting end to the Batman Arkham series.

Batman: Arkham Knight is visually pleasing. The textures pop like never before in the Arkham series. A close up look at the batsuit reveals a kevlar like texture that resembles the real thing. The upgraded textures make everything in the world look more realistic that ever before. Another thing that looks good in Arkham Knight is the rain. The rain effects look as real as real could be. You can literally watch a rain drop slide down Batman’s cowl and then drip off of his face and when it hits a puddle on the ground, it creates a little splash. Of all the superheroes Batman is one of the darker ones and it shows up in Arkham Knight. The darkness of the game helps set the tone while also helping the brighter colors have more of an effect. For instance, the Riddler’s trademark green color becomes very visible in the dark world of Arkham Knight. Simply put, the graphics are great in Arkham Knight. From the textures of the batsuit, to darkness of the environment, Batman: Arkham Knight is aesthetically great. It looks great, but how does it sound?

This should come as no surprise for a Batman game, but the voice acting is phenomenal. Nolan North delivers for Penguin, Troy Baker delivers for the Arkham Knight, and Kevin Conroy delivers, as always, for Batman to name a few. The voice acting is top notch quality and not monotone like in Destiny. Everyone from Harley Quinn to a thug on the street has great dialogue that helps to enrich the environment of Arkham Knight and makes Gotham feel alive. What’s a good world without good mechanics?

The Batman Arkham series has always had great gameplay mechanics and that tradition continues in Batman: Arkham Knight. The combat is fantastic. The free flow during combat feels fluid and smooth. The counter system works incredibly well and allows you to stop mid free flow to stop an incoming attack from an enemy. You know a combat system is good when other games, i.e. Shadow of Mordor, copy it into their game. Another thing that works great is traversing the city. Although the bat mobile was the new addition to the series in Arkham Knight, the old fashioned way of grappling around the city still works just fine. The grappling is pretty lenient letting you grapple long distances away which helps to cover long distances in a short amount of time.

The graphics are great, the voice acting is great, the story is great, the mechanics are great, but not everything is great. That’s right, I’m talking about you bat mobile. In theory, the bat mobile sounds like a cool addition to a Batman game, but in reality not so much. Had Rocksteady not forced almost everything in the game to revolve around the bat mobile, I believe it would have been a good addition. However, it does and it’s annoying. Every time you turn around the game makes you fight tanks here, do this time trial race here, latch onto this, jump this, etc. It is very frustrating when you are running around Gotham and then are forced to used something you don’t want to use. Like I said before, if it were not forced down our throats in this game it would be better, but it feels as if the entire game was designed around the bat mobile and unfortunately the bat mobile is not a very good addition to the Batman Arkham series.

I did encounter some bugs in Batman. At one point, the game closed out and gave me an error code on my Xbox One, but it only happened once and I’m not entirely sure why. Another bug I found was after resuming my game after it being paused for some time, the mission select wheel disappeared even when I pressed right on the d-pad to select it. The game is not littered with bugs by any stretch of the imagination like some other recent releases and run very well. These were the only two bugs I encountered.

Batman: Arkham Knight is a fantastic game. Although I did encounter a few bugs and had to deal with the intrusive nature of the bat mobile, I had an overall great experience with this game. The story was fantastic, the mechanics were great, the graphics were beautiful, and the voice acting was stellar. I cannot praise this game enough even though the bat mobile subtracted from the experience of Batman: Arkham Knight.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.